You may face an issue where one of your storage controllers is missing in the storage status view in UBView as seen in the screenshot below:
Here we are missing a controller from storage 1. This article shows how to deal with this issue.
The controller can be missing when the controller module is failing or due to a bad management cable or because of losing cable connection.
When controller management is not available, the disk's preferred path which is managed by the missing controller may change to other available controllers of the storage.
To solve this problem, please create a support ticket and one of our agents will help you.
- In a standard installation, the Controller management IPs are assigned as follows:
Follow these steps to solve the problem:
- Check the controller management port status from Hardware View in UBView to see if all ports are working normally. If they are, proceed to the next step. If not, then you must notify the customer that there's a problem with a physical connection and specify which one
- Log in to the Management server and try to ping
10.11.18.200. Here we chose this IP because in the example, it's the one missing:
- Access Storage via Storage Manager and reset the controller:
Follow the steps in the article: Opening Storage Management Through MDSM
- Check the storage status again from UBview GUI.
- If the controller is still missing and the ping failed, you must check the physical connection.
- Inform the customer to Plug-Out/Unplug the management cable from Storage and wait 1 min and plug it back in again and check.
- If it's still missing, the next step is to try to change the management cable of the affected controller.
After getting the missing controller back, the virtual disk is still not on the preferred path so you need to redistribute the virtual disk from the storage manager.