You may wish to know how you can display or view the content of messages in logs.
The content of a message can be viewed in the Logs (decoded logs from command line and in LGV from the MGR GUI). However, the ability to do so depends on your License Key. From the LGP Operator Manual:
To allow flexibility and privacy protection, the maximum logging level is determined and locked by
the license key. Therefore, the log level that is configured in the semi-static configuration file and per
logging profile can never exceed the maximum log level that is defined in the license. The text of messages, for which user data should not be logged, will be masked by a string of Xs.
The three possible License Key Values for Transparent Logging are:
- Protocol Violations Only
1. Command Line:
If Transparent Logging is enabled (Always) in the License Key, then viewing message content depends on the following settings:
- In the semi-static files (common or host-config files : transparentuserdatalevel)
- Logging Profile : Log user data level
- Run the tp_walkall command. If your output contains the following values for the attribute logtransparentuserdatalevel, then you should be able to see the content of sms user data in the logs:
- licTpfLoggingTransparentUserDataLevel.0 = INTEGER: always(0)
- logPropTransparentUserDataLevel.0 = INTEGER: always(0)
- logProfileTransparentUserDataLevel.1 = INTEGER: useGlobalSetting(3)
- logProfileTransparentUserDataLevel.2 = INTEGER: useGlobalSetting(3)
- To view the content,
- From the logging directory : cd /var/TextPass/log/available
- tp_log --output =/<output_directory> <cdrfile_to_convert.dat>
- In the converted .txt file, you will see the content of the message.
If your tp_walkall output indicates that the logtransparentuserdatalevel is not configured to display message content, please contact support and we will share the command that will configure this attribute correctly.
<supportagent>Agents should escalate such a request to configure the transparentuserdatalevel attribute to the ZTPS team</supportagent>
2. From the GUI
- Navigate to GUI –> Settings –> User admin –> Groups –> Administrators:
- In the subsequent screen, ensure that the View Restricted Data field is checked:
- If this is checked, then from the LGV filters / search you should be able to see the contents of the message in the Logs.