It is possible that a Hard Drive on your server has failed, and your hardware support has asked you to replace the drive on your server. You wish to know how you can perform this replacement safely.
Please follow the steps below in order to safely replace the HD:
- Stop all Lithium Processes on the server (tp_stop) and check status (tp_status).
- If all processes are stopped, then perform a graceful shutdown as root (shutdown -h now) .
- Once the server has Powered Down, remove the failed disk and insert the replacement disk in the same slot.
- Power on the server and let the Drive re-sync. (check from ILO logs - Storage).
- Check Lithium processes to ensure they are up after the restart (tp_status).
For the physical act of replacing the HD, please follow the guidelines provided by hardware vendor. For any further Hardware related procedure/issues, e.g. if your ILO Storage Status shows "Failed" after the replacement, please contact your HW vendor.